Congratulations – you’re expecting a baby. You’re now looking around for the best person to provide you with optimum care as you travel the path of pregnancy, birth and the first month after your baby is born.
Midwives for You is a dynamic group of independent midwives who provide personalised Professional Midwifery services to families and whanau in Palmerston North and the greater Manawatu. We each provide care for between 4 and 6 families per month and as a team provide a strong support structure to each other to ensure you receive quality, family-centred, continuity of care in the safest possible way.
Collectively, we provide Midwifery care in Palmerston North, Feilding, Ashurst, Linton, Marton, Rangitikei and the greater Manawatu; with each of us focusing on particular areas. We can also provide you with different birthing options either in the home or hospital. We work in teams of 2 and back each other up when a second midwife is needed at a birth, or if your midwife is unavailable.
Midwives for You believe that pregnancy and childbirth is a normal life event and that partnership between the midwife and the family or whanau she cares for, should be a relationship of trust, open communication and respect.
As Midwives we are committed to women-centred, continuity of care and feel the best care is given, when continuity exists. We believe midwifery is about empowering women to have faith in their ability to birth their babies, and about educating families and whanau about the normal process of pregnancy, birth, and early infant care.
Midwives are specialists in pregnancy and childbirth. We complete a three-year degree known as the ‘Bachelor of Midwifery’ (BMID) in order to gain the knowledge, skills and experience we have to provide safe and professional midwifery care. Midwives practice in different settings. We work in the community and provide birth care at home, in birthing units and in hospitals. Women who birth in hospitals will also have care from the hospital-employed midwives who provide the 24-hour in-hospital midwifery care in partnership with women and/or their LMC midwives. Women, who have or develop medical or obstetric conditions that require the ongoing involvement of an obstetrician, still require a midwife. Our Midwives can provide this midwifery care for you.
Our Midwifery Professional Services include:
- Family centred continuity of care (antenatal, labour & birth, postnatal care) by the same midwife and backup .
- Hospital, home & water birth options
- 24 hr urgent availability
- Breastfeeding advice and assistance
- Referral to Well Child Provider & G.P
- Consultation with an obstetrician or other specialist if complications arise at any time during pregnancy, labour and birth or the weeks following.
- Preconceptual advice
- Free pregnancy testing
- Antenatal care and assessments throughout your pregnancy with visits at home or at the midwife’s clinic. This includes arranging any necessary blood tests or investigative procedures.
- Time for questions and planning to meet you and your family’s needs
- Support and professional care throughout labour and birth in the place of your choice
- Support, advice and professional care after your baby is born and for 4 – 6 weeks afterwards
- Early discharge home (if requested) if you birth in hospital
- Support, advice and assistance with breastfeeding and caring for your baby
- Contraceptive advice
- Discharge from midwifery care when you are ready at about 4 – 6 weeks and referral on to the Plunket nurse, iwi provider, other well child provider or general practitioner. These practitioners can provide support and assist with ongoing care such as immunisation and well child checks.
Our Midwives are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and individually we cover the following areas…
- Palmerston North